Key takeaways from the 2018 International Builders Show:
- Builder and contractor sentiment remains very high. Demand conditions are excellent, but a drag on construction deadlines persist, due to labor issues. Channel players and product manufacturers continue to look to intuitive, easy-to-install products.
- The Builders’ Show combined with the Kitchen and Bath Show to showcase interiors, exteriors and construction updates in one event.
- There was an emphasis on innovative products and systems, including hydronic heating, PEX tubing and quick-connect plumbing solutions. A new composite siding and roofing product – that looks like wood or cedar, but is made with urethane, silica or polymer formulations – provides a greater level of dimension and appeal.
- Modular construction and contemporary designs remain popular. Many ready-to-assemble (RTA) or simple kit-install systems for cabinets, outdoor living and decking/flooring, were highlighted at the event.
- A fresh level of aesthetics was featured, with advancements in high-resolution graphical printing on various substrates. The cutting-edge process is used in flooring, cladding, cabinets, fencing and decorative wall panels – all leveraging European influences.
The construction industry is about more than bricks and sticks. More than kitchens and baths. It’s about converting windows of opportunity, insulating yourself against the competition – and building your business on a strong foundation.